Fuzzyless Jerk Chicken
Total time: 45 min.
Prep time: 20 min.
Cook time: 25 min.
Number of servings (yield): 6
- 6 part-boned chicken breasts or 16 large chicken wings
- For the Jerk Sauce:
- 225g/8oz onions, quartered
- 2 habaneros or scotch bonnet chillies, halved and seeded
- 50g/2oz fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- the leaves from 15g/½oz fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 120ml/4fl oz white wine vinegar
- 120ml/4fl oz dark soy sauce
1. Put all the ingredients for the jerked sauce into a food processor and whizz until smooth.
2. Place the chicken in a large shallow dish, pour over the sauce, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 24 hours, turning the chicken every now and then.
3. Barbecue the chicken breasts over medium-hot coals for 25-30 minutes and the wings for 20-25 minutes, basting now and then with the leftover sauce. As it cooks the thick sauce will go quite black in places, but as it falls off it will leave behind a really well flavoured, crisp skin, with lovely moist tender meat underneath.