Giant Headache Or Golden Opportunity?
The Olympic Games are here. July 27 marks the start of six weeks of sporting fever and white-hot demand for the UK hospitality industry. While this once-in-a-lifetime event represents a major challenge, it’s also a golden opportunity for caterers to capitalise on meeting the needs of nine million hungry visitors. But how?
These three tips will help your business finish the Olympics on the winner’s podium. But with only six months left, the race is on. So get started today.
#1 – Food and Catering Equipment
The reliable, timely delivery of food, equipment and prepared meals is the lifeblood of any catering business, so don’t let traffic snarls and road closures sabotage your business (for London, especially).
• Talk to your suppliers about TfL’s provision for out-of-hours deliveries
• Plan alternative delivery routes (see link below)
• Start stocking up on non-perishables today.
Olympic routes and road closure info/maps
#2 – Staff
Re-assess your staffing needs.
• Are you likely to see a drop in business customers who choose either to stay at home or go on holiday to escape the madness?
• Can you find ways to tweak your business plan to capitalise on Olympic opportunities? Explore your options.
• Will you need more staff?
#3 – Best of Britain
Consider following big names like British Airways and designing a special London 2012 menu. Why not take the opportunity to serve the best of British cuisine, harnessing national pride and appealing to foreign visitors’ appetite for local fare?
Industry experts agree that UK businesses joining the London 2012 juggernaut will reap a share of visitors’ £750m spend and long-term rewards besides. So make sure your business is ready to celebrate the event of its lifetime.